COVID-19 Diabetes Supplies Coalition (CDSC)
How we are overcoming challenges raised by the coronavirus pandemic
The COVID-19 pandemic is having a multitude of impacts on the provision of diabetes care in every country.
There are various likely challenges for less-resourced countries:
1. Immediate impacts from lockdowns – food insecurity and lack of supplies and care due to movement limitations and loss of income; lack of specific information on COVID-19 and diabetes; and risk of diabetic ketoacidosis or hypoglycaemia
3. Interruptions to current shipments of insulin and other supplies due to limited flights and government shutdowns
4. Economic damage resulting in cuts to government health budgets, reducing or delaying insulin orders and other expenditures
In response, Life for a Child and JDRF have assembled the COVID-19 Diabetes Supplies Coalition (CDSC).
The CDSC is an agile group of like-minded organisations aiming to:
• Identify shortages of insulin and other essential diabetes supplies, and other impacts on diabetes care, that result from disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic
• Mobilise support and share best practices so that these needs can be met as well as possible.
The Diabetes in Humanitarian Crises group
Countries supported by Life for a Child
Support the provision of the best possible health care, given local circumstances, to all children and youth (under 26 years of age) with diabetes in less-resourced countries, through the strengthening of existing diabetes services.
Conduct international advocacy and clinical research, and where possible help both young adults and also recipient countries with achieving sustainability.
Research and Advocacy
In addition to the provision of essential supplies and technical assistance, Life for a Child conducts clinical research, and assists local partners with the development of advocacy campaigns to improve diabetes care in young people.
Life for a Child is steered by the overarching view to promote sustainable solutions within partner countries.
USA: Life for a Child USA Inc. is a tax-exempt charity under IRS rules as a 501(c)(3) organization, EIN 47-4901579. Your donation is deductible to the full extent allowable by U.S. law.
Australia: Diabetes Overseas Aid Fund T/A Life for a Child is a registered charity with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC). Eligible tax-deductible donations have Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status with the Australian Tax Office.
Life for a Child changes the names of all children under the age of 18 years of age in order to protect their privacy.